Air shows are events which feature airplanes performing aerial displays. However, there’s a lot more to air shows. For instance, attendees get to see the latest in airplanes and aviation technology. Air shows attract hundreds of thousands of aviation professionals, enthusiasts, and the general public. The events take place every year around the world.
The U.S. is home to numerous air shows the most notable being the Miramar Air Show held in San Diego and the Oceana Air Show held in Virginia. The UK is also home to one of the largest air shows in the world dubbed the Royal International Air Tattoo. Canada also has the Abbotsford Air show. Given the fact that there are many air shows held every year in different parts of the world, what makes an air show great?
10 ways to make an airshow great
1. Jaw-dropping aerial displays: Most people go to air shows to see aerial displays. There may be many other activities going on in an air show, but the aerial displays are the main attraction. For this reason, the aerial displays have to be unique and jaw-dropping.
2. Unobstructed views: The best air shows also offer unobstructed views of aerial displays to the public. Everyone should be able to witness the aerial displays without getting obstructed by buildings or vegetation. To get the best views, you need to get to the airshow early and find a strategic spot.
3. Proper parking and transport arrangements: Since air shows are held in vast airfields, there should be proper parking arrangements and ample transportation to and from the main area.
4. Proper seating arrangements: Unobstructed views shouldn’t be at the expense of comfort. Great air shows have proper seating arrangement for the public who would want to enjoy the show while sitting down under some shade.
5. Ample refreshments: Great air shows also have enough food and refreshment vendors since attendees are bound to get thirsty and/or hungry in an air show. You can carry your own refreshments to avoid inconveniences.
6. Aircraft/aerial display variety: Great air shows also have a variety of everything from aircraft to aerial displays.
7. Unique commentary: A great air show should also have commentary done by an experienced industry expert. The commentary should also incorporate live cockpit conversations.
8. Presentations/workshops: There should also be other activities you can engage in besides looking at the aerial displays. For instance, attendees should be able to view planes and engage in interactive activities such as mingling with aviation experts
9. Exhibits/shopping: Exhibitors also make air shows exceptional. Great air shows have all kinds of aviation industry stakeholders showcasing their products and services. For instance, attendees should be able to get leads on pilot training, aircraft parts and merchandise in air show exhibition stands.
10. Entertainment: A great air show must also incorporate entertainment such as musical performances and fun games for all attendees including children. Since aerial displays aren’t continuous, attendees must be kept engaged in other activities.
An air show that incorporates all the above is bound to be great. Most importantly, the aerial displays must be unique and jaw dropping. Ideally, the aerial displays must be better than previous displays. The attendees must also be comfortable, engaged and entertained.